Monday, April 10, 2006

More on rhetoric and interdisciplinarity

I was just looking over the faculty list for the Rhetoric Department at UC Berkeley. Here's what I find interesting: not one professor there has a PhD in rhetoric. They have degrees in history, philosophy, literature, law, and other areas, but not in rhetoric. As I said earlier, to study rhetoric is to study other things, too.

Having said that, I'm hoping that some of the growing rhetoric departments around the country will be looking in about five years for someone with a PhD in rhetoric. By then, I plan to have mine. It will be from the University of Minnesota. (Texas Tech, the other possibility I took seriously, has an excellent program, as well. But I finally decided that I'd be better off at UMN.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home